Huge Quilting Scare...

I loaded another scrappy quilt on the frame yesterday.   Someone else made this one and I am quilting it.  This quilt will end up going to one of the local groups that our guild members support.  I forgot between stopping and starting later that I had been in "baste" mode with a long stitch length.  Started quilting and right away realized my error because it just sounds different.  Snipped my threads but the bobbin thread was snug from knotting  off my beginning.  Reached for my nippers, tossed the quilt bottom edge to the side and was getting ready to scramble underneath so I could clip those pesky threads when I heard that RIPPPPP sound.    I was horrified to discover my nippers must have caught on the fabric on the quilt top!  I was sick that I had made such a stupid mistake but ever so grateful that this was on a scrappy quilt and I could repair this.

Do you see that tear in the black square?   Oh my gosh I'm still sick to see that and wondered how this happened.    What if this had been a different type of quilt and I ruined it.  Major lesson learned, move slower and keep those nippers out of my hand that is moving the quilt top.   I have some Kona Black fabric; I could applique a new square over that ripped section, or I could do it right by taking the quilt off the frame, taking out that section and resewing the block.   I opted for the latter. 

Imagine my surprise when I was removing the threads and the fabric ripped again!  The whole seam line area just "ripped" away.   I'm thinking OK, something is wrong here.     


I gave a tug on the fully intact seam of an adjoining section with the same fabrics and uh oh...

The fabric just ripped through that seamed area from giving it a little tug.   I guess  the fabric has aged poorly/rotted and that was why it ripped in the first place?  I took out all of  that black block and replaced the solid black fabrics and have it pieced back into the quilt.   I've searched the quilt over and there are some small 2" squares that appear to be in the same black fabric....   I'm just hoping they don't rip too however the  2   2" squares in this block  seemed firm but  I replaced them anyway.   Keep your fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong....   I'm still scared!

Comments

Lynette said…
Wow! Pretty darn good of you to replace them all for her!
Nancy said…
For some reason, Blogger was not allowing my comment earlier. Go figure. But that would be a scare for sure. I sometimes wonder about using some of the fabrics we get for donation quilts... they may be old and fragile as this seems to be. Hopefully your extra attention and repairs will make this a durable and useful project when all is said and done.